Votes: 1 1.4%
  • they're not good for anything

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • other(write what you're thoughts are)

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters

gundogs

Reaction score
I have a compound ( Mathews ) but find myself shooting the old Fred Bear Grizzly more often. I think the compound has more power and shoots flatter but there is more to be said for shooting traditional equipment and shooting instinctive. Just me ........I guess.

Krisdude

Reaction score
I have both kinda compound and a re-curve, I use the compound for 99% of my shooting and then agen I'm only in to archery for about a year now, It takes a lot of practices for any bow, but hats off for those that hunt and harvest with the traditional without sights :archer green: I'm good for about 10 yards with my re-curve of 30lbs, but haven't practice with it much,
I think the compounds are the best thing to get folks in the sport with a little time and right guidance you'll be hitting your mark

Ratdz

Reaction score
I started shooting bows when I was a kid, and started on compounds.
I have in the past 15 years, started building longbows and love them!
Now I hunt with both. Just depends on how I feel at the time.
Both have advantages and disadvantages.

HOWEVER, they are both ARCHERY!
Please, lets not divide the two. Each person to their own!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I grew up making long bows and recurves in school so I've always like the trad bows. I tried hunting with a Bear compound when the wheelie bows first came out but it just didn't feel right for me. I like a simple lightweight bow. The compounds bows today weigh more than my magnum deer rifle and have so many dodads and gizmos on them it's mind boggling to me. I also come with my own permanently attached release, my own fingers.

Backtalk

Reaction score
Trad. LongBow

I shoot a Horne longbow. Managed to get a nice 6X6 this year.
Edit: Sorry, I put this in the wrong forum.

Last edited:

dober1

Reaction score
Recurve only for me as it has been since I started 42 years ago. I have 3 Ben Pearsons and one Shakespear. But I don't have anything against compound shooters.

cut throat

Reaction score
I THINK it depends on your generation. I can't see myself hunting with a recurve. 95% of the people at my local archery range shoot recurves, but when I see someone around my age (20s) they have a compound.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

henmar77

Reaction score
I have both, love both. Only been hunting with the compound this last year, but I'm hooked. Not because of letoff or any other high tech reason. I simple enjoy it more because the bow is half the length. I go through some knarly stuff when I hunt. It's like the difference between caring a bench shooter and a sporter in the field. Are they easier to shoot, yes but I don't think it make it any less challenging.

Props. to anyone that has the balls to challenge themselves to hunt with either one.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Arrowhead

Reaction score
I think as long as they get people hunting whether trad or compound it is a good thing.

palladin

Reaction score
I don't care what type of bow you use as long as you don't point a nock'd arrow at me.

I've shot primitive and traditional and prefer it. I like practicing the technique and am learning to
make my own equipment. I may pick up a compound to round out my toolbox but haven't had the chance yet.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Archery has gotten inside my bones this year and although I get razzed all the time to "lose the training wheels" I do love the CB. Maybe because i am new to the game or maybe because I can't hit a barn without a peep. Bowhunting has been the single most difficult thing i have ever tried so you guys that say hunting with CBs is too easy have my respect. After spending considerable coin on equipment and archery lessons I finally got my bow dialed in and was shooting better than I ever imagined I would. Managed to maintain a 1.5" pattern at 20 yards and my new Glendel 3D was dying from heart & lung shots a dozen arrows at a time. The same day I finally was shooting as good as I ever will...it happened. I went upstairs to take some shots at the 3D from an elevated position (my balcony) and on one shot, realized too late I wasn't in the right position and when I released the arrow, the lower limb hit the balcony railing. I immediately set the bow down and BOINGGGG! Bow is back at the shop being restrung. AUGGHHH!!!!

palladin

Reaction score
ouch, Bruce!

Make sure you watch out for tree limbs as well. I learned that lesson with my recurve.

Nice thing about a trad bow is you don't need a rig to restring it. :D

Bender

Reaction score
I'm a dedicated longbow shooter. But more importantly I'm dedicated to archery. If something were to happen to me such that I could no longer deal with holding the full draw weight of a bow, and I needed the advantage of let off just to keep shooting I would switch, no problem.

willscarlet

Reaction score
I started with a recurve, mainly because, back then that was the only option (plus longbows). When compounds became popular I bought one, or two, or three......... but I just can't get away from the love of the simple bow. Currently, I shoot a Morrison ILF 49# recurve, but ditto what Bender said.

flingem71

Reaction score
I learned on trad bows, stick and recurve. It taught me to shoot with instinct... just me the bow, arrow and an educated guess on distance. Its the basics. I then moved into the "dark side" (I kept my old light sabers though) and enjoy it. After getting fair with fingers and a single pin, I moved to using a release and multi pins and a huge window. After years of that, a friend took me hog hunting with me expensive compound get up. I stalked this pig for about 20 minutes in the blind....as my partner sat on a ridge with a clear elevated view and guiding me to the pig. As I moved up to the ridge line, in a 20yd view was my pig. I drew and fired for a double lung pass through shot. Pig down! I looked and my release was hanging off my wrist.....un-used. I just laughed realizing how much I had invested in my fancy compound set up and I still reverted to my learnings. I'm glad to have those fundamentals to fall back on.

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using Tapatalk 2

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
wow i believe that u can consistently get in good range with any big game animal and a bow your a good hunter , ihave trouble mith my rifle haha.

Top Bottom