Yukon Moose Hunt 2013

bobby7321

Reaction score
Location - Northern Yukon

Dates - Sept 24th to October 5th

Outfitter - Blackstone Outfitters (Jim & Adrienne Fink)

Rifle - Winchester M70 .375 RUM (270 gr TSX, 105 gr H4831SC)

Went on a moose hunt in the northern Yukon with Blackstone Outfitters. Also having tags for caribou, bear, and sheep if time and luck permitted. Took my usual crew. Me, my brother Albert, my dad (the hunter), and my grandfather. Floated the Ogilve and Peel Rivers for 11 days (75 Kms total). Grandpa stayed in base camp, and the rest of us froze our asses off. Weather was as bad as they had ever seen it up there during this hunt. Pretty cold, and a constant light snow. We still had a good time, and the operation is very well run. We will definitely be going back looking for that big one. Saw moose, but nothing worth shooting (we were being a little picky). We were the only guys that didn't tag out. All the other hunters took moose, most of them very nice. A few grizzlies and caribou as well.

Left the big cameras and lenses at home, and just took my new Sony RX100 and the camcorders. Took more video than stills. So here is the video. about 15 mins long. Let me know what you think.

https://vimeo.com/76808546

[video=vimeo;76808546]http://vimeo.com/76808546[/video]

a few stills.

Heading out from Whitehorse to Dawson

One of only a couple nice sunsets we had.

a nice break from Mountain House

my brother, my dad, and me

Here we are with our guide, Norm, on the gravel bar waiting to be picked up.

Weather was too bad to fly, so we had to stay an extra day on the gravel bar. Built a little shelter to get out of the snow. Day can get pretty long with absolutely nothing to do (we had just left the concession area also)

funny how things can change in a second. we got the call that the pilots were coming to get us. I think we packed up camp in record time! here I am with my brother crammed in the back of Jim's super cub for the flight back to camp. Sure enough we saw a nice bull (from the air) in the exact spot we had been the day before.

Here we are reunited with grandpa. With only about an hour left to catch the charter back to whitehorse. plenty of time :)

amazing country up there. we will return!

thanks

KTKT70

Reaction score
wow. what a trip. That's way cool that you all go do that. sorry no meat but I bet it is still the hunt of a life time. good job buddy.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Okay, this is on my bucket list and i'd like some straight answers (for real).

1. How many close encounters did you have (or could have had if desired) that would be within 35 yards? (Archery close)
2. You froze, what was the proper gear? I have a ton of Optifade (both light & the Celsius). What would you pack that you didn't and were certain boots better than others?
3. That 1st bull looked pretty good, what kinda size were you looking for?
4. What is the hard cost (total) for a trip like this? A breakdown for travel, tags, etc is helpful.
5. It seems that weather plays havok with moose hunts and the winters determine the season. What do ya look for there prior to booking?
6. Do these specialize in gun hunts or do they have the skill set for archery? (It's a specialty) How was their calling and glassing?
7. How many miles a day did you average when hoofin' it? How was the terrain? I know Tundra is a biach to hike in.
8. What was the weight limit for your gear?
9. Do they help ya get your meat frozen, boxed for shipment home or expect you to donate it?
10. How's the local taxi service?
I would like all the details if and when you find the time. Great vid!

Last edited:

bobby7321

Reaction score
1. How many close encounters did you have (or could have had if desired) that would be within 35 yards? (Archery close)

We had 4 moose within 30 yards. I doubt most of them have ever seen a human. If they wind you, then bye bye. But if they don't, they seem to want to see whats going on and have no problem coming in really close. once they commit, they are coming, and its an amazing sight. they may be the only animal that actually comes at you once its sees you. haha
funny you mention archery, because after the first two bulls came in within 20 yards, I thought to myself "this hunt would be perfect for archery". the other hunters had many other encounters well under 30 yards. there was a hunter in camp, Joe (owner of tuffhead broadheads), who shot his moose on the 2nd day of his hunt with a long bow. his 3rd trip too, which i think is a testament to the outfitter as well.

2. You froze, what was the proper gear? I have a ton of Optifade (both light & the Celsius). What would you pack that you didn't and were certain boots better than others?

I was cold, froze may have been a little exaggerated, but I was def cold most of the time. except for while in my big agnes down 0 degree sleeping bag. keep in mind it was much colder than it normally is for this hunt. if I was to go again, and doing a FLOAT hunt again. I would probably take either the 13" or higher insulated pac boot, or something like the muck arctic insulated rubber boots. I had some lowa sheep hunters, with gaiters, and helly hansen impertech bibs. they did the trick as far as not letting water in, but they were not warm enough. I might even go as far as to bring neoprene waders too. you will be in an out of a raft many times a day. I used smart wool midweight as underwear, then my kuiu pants and then the bibs. legs were fine, just cold feet. top layer was smartwoold midweight top, tshirt, sitka celcius vest, and then kuiu guide jacket. torso was ok, only thing I would change there would be a heavy wool layer on top of the underwear, and it would have been perfect. hands were cold all the time. I had wool gloves, and a pair of leather gloves. going again i would swap those out for some type of neoprene or glove to use for working in water (rowing, etc...) and then a heavy duty pair of gloves that were also water proof but heavily insulated (to wear while out of the boat) maybe like ski-type gloves or mittens. I also took a rabbit fur bomber hat, and a merino wool balaclava. those came in very handy. to wear during the day and to sleep in. a def must have on the balaclava.

3. That 1st bull looked pretty good, what kinda size were you looking for?

yes he was pretty good. that was actually the first day and on our way to the river. he was too close to the road (dempster hwy), we could have followed him until he was the necessary 500 meters... but it was the 1st day and he was border line what we wanted. I'd say he was right at the lower end of the size of what we would have taken. a nice bull no doubt, and he very well may have got shot if we saw him on the last day. size is one thing and the experience of the hunt is another. he would look good in the pics and on the wall, but there would have been no real "hunt" behind it with that one. now the other bull with the cows, on the wrong side of the river, he would have been dead if he would have stepped one foot into that river. he was a dandy.

4. What is the hard cost (total) for a trip like this? A breakdown for travel, tags, etc is helpful.

I will shoot you a PM with the costs. Nothing super secret, I just don't like talking money in an open forum.

5. It seems that weather plays havok with moose hunts and the winters determine the season. What do ya look for there prior to booking?

Well to be honest, when I booked this hunt (early 2012) they only had one spot open all year and it was this specific hunt (3rd moose hunt, 2nd moose hunt of the rut as it tails off). many of their long time clients prefer this hunt, so I jumped on the chance. I doubt anyone has the luxury of waiting to see what the weather will do before booking a hunt like this. I just called many references and talked to several people before booking. nothing but great things to say about the operation. They do ask if you want to do a float hunt, horseback, or backpack hunt. We were open to whatever they suggested given the weather, etc.. at that given time. 90%of the hunters during this hunt did float hunts. the moose during the rut stay down by the rivers.

6. Do these specialize in gun hunts or do they have the skill set for archery? (It's a specialty) How was their calling and glassing?

one of the first things they asked me is if we wanted to do archery or rifle. I imagine they take quite a few archers each year. The one archer in camp (Joe) was setup with a guide who also is an archer. So I think they do take it into account, and set you up accordingly.

7. How many miles a day did you average when hoofin' it? How was the terrain? I know Tundra is a biach to hike in.

yes tundra was not fun, and we only hiked it for a very small amount of time. although I have a new found love for trekking poles. I don't think i will hunt without them again. i could climb up things about 4x as fast and feel like I barely did any work. Also stability is 100x better. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. anways... we did a float hunt, so its actually pretty easy going. float, call, stop once in a while, walk the willows and gravel bars (maybe 2-3 kms at a time) then back to the boat, repeat, etc... so in a day only a few miles at the most. if they were rutting, they would respond to the calls and come to you from a ways out. so more sitting and waiting than walking really.

8. What was the weight limit for your gear?

they didn't give us a limit at any point (except for the charter which was 100 lbs). we had 4 guys on a raft, which I am sure is more than they are used to, so we tried to keep it minimal. we didn't change clothes during the entire trip, so we only had one spare set with us in case we got soaked (never got used. that plus a pair of shoes to wear around the camp. plus our sleeping bags and pads. I'd say we each had about 20-25 lbs with us. Also definitely recommend a nice dry bag duffel. which is one thing that they did not put on their checklist, but is a must have. I am also a big fan of Big Agnes tents and bags. My dad had a serious back issue this last spring, so i was really worried about him sleeping on the ground for 10 days. I got him the Hogan Park bag and the insulated air core mattress, and he slept very comfortably. highly recommend that system, and any of their products for that matter.

9. Do they help ya get your meat frozen, boxed for shipment home or expect you to donate it?

yes they help you take whatever you want home. they have 50 lb collapsible coolers they can give you. they do not expect you to donate it, but have many people that will use it if you do decide to. I think most guys take 50 or 100 lbs home and have them keep or donate the rest. there is a process you go thru of course. I actually sat in the customs office in Vancouver doing rifle paperwork while a couple of other guys did the paperwork for the meat, and it seemed pretty painless. Just look into it before you go and I think you should have no problem getting it set up. FYI the moose burgers and smoked sausage we had while out in the bush were freaking fantastic.

10. How's the local taxi service?

I am not sure if you mean the taxidermist? Jim and Adrienne (the outfitters) live in Sask, so they actually haul everything out there at the end of the season and take it to Orion Taxidermy. Then from their they can either do the mounts, or help with the logistics of shipping it to your own guy.

hope that helps a little. being 100% real here, I think if a big Alaska/Yukon moose with a bow is what you are after, I think you can't go wrong with this outfitter. Do a float hunt during either this same time period, or the 10 days before, and you will have a trip of a lifetime.

inchr48

Reaction score
Great adventure bobby, many envious readers here I'm sure.

I wish I had family to hunt with, and glad you don't take it for granted.

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
could u send me a pm on the price 2 thats an awsome trip a 300 wthrby is enough for a moose id imagine?

bobby7321

Reaction score
PM on its way. 300 weatherby would be a great gun for this type of hunt.

Top Bottom