Yuma Opener

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
Sat . we hunted near the Colorado river near the indian reservation. It was slow the first hour then it was like someone opened the bird cages at the zoo. they flew everywhere like crazy. My 11 year old and I limited out. It took her 2.5 boxes of shells. She shot a side by side that I had cut the stock on. She just got her safety certs and man was I proud of her . On a darker note some guys staying at the same motel got busted for shooting a limit in Az and then shooting another on the Calif. side. Sunday was quite a bit slower. They flew onesies twosies at first then around  the same time they went nuts again . I dropped a double , then my 6 year old got stung by a bee in the back of her head. I removed the stinger , Iced it down , applied some cortisone cream  and comforted her. By then the flight petered out and I managed to scratch a limit by 10:00am and my 11 year old got 2 white wings. We tallied about 8 white wings between the two of us for 2 days. We came home thru San Diego and stopped at the ice cream shop in Oceanside hbr. Was a terrific trip we got some action , the pool at the motel was awesome after the shoot. Went to Spragues to check out the goings on. Most important- my kids learned the consequences of  lack of hunter ethics.  

Fubar

Reaction score
fowl Shooter  Glad to hear you had a good trip. Sounds like a great trip for the kids. Our group was in Tacna, about 50 miles East of you. The only problem we had was a lack of hunters in the field we were hunting. There werent enough people in the field to move the birds. The birds would just land out in the field. Even so it was easy limits Saturday. Sunday it rained first thing in the morning turning the place into a sauna. I was soaking wet from the humidity. We chose to leave before we got limits on Sunday but there were still enough birds flying for those who chose to stay to get a limit. I didnt talk to anyone that didnt limit out Sat and everyone had a great time. If you go there, be prepared to bring everything you need. Tacna is not much of a town. There is a gas station with a mini mart and a Motel, but you can expect inflated prices for the opening weekend. There are quite a few posted fields but we didnt have any problem getting permission to hunt. The farmer just asked us to pick up after ourselves.             Fubar

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
I'm interested in shooting Tacna next time. Yuma was a zoo and we got sprinkled many many times. $110.00/night for a motel was a bit much. But our group already made arrangements and did quite a bit of pre-scouting. I would like to try that area next time. We got those rain showers on sat evening in Yuma , but we still did Ok on Sunday. What did you think of that Ca Ag check station? There was a pile of wardens but they just waved us thru.

Fubar

Reaction score
fowl Shooter  Last year I wasnt there but my friends said the wardens were stopping everyone. You must fill out a form to bring game or fish into CA. It made for about a half hour wait at the AZ-CA border according to my friends. Most people didnt have the forms but the Fish and game was handing them out last year for people to fill out. It is my understanding that you must have them filled out prior to arriving at the border. We got there early Sunday and they were still out checking licenses and hadnt started checking people at the border yet.We were just waved through also.        Fubar

Brown Trout

Reaction score
Fubar

Where in Tacna did you hunt?  We were in Welton, the orchard that we normaly hunt was cut down to 1/3 it's usual size so the hunters were to close together. Limits were had but we went looking for a place less crowded. We tryed by the feed lot and it was a zoo. We noticed that the locals had no trouble setting up on top of us, one time they actualy set up between us. I don't mind driving the extra distance if you can give some pointers on where to scout or shoot. We hunted on monday and no one was at the check point when we went through, where can I get the forms to fill out, We'll most likely get stoped next year? THANKS!!

Fubar

Reaction score
Brown Trout  Welcome to Jesses Forum. We were hunting a cut sudan grass field a couple miles east of town. There were quite a few people just behind the town near the orange grove but there werent very many where we were. You have to get those forms from the CA DFG. I think they might have them on their web site but I am not sure. I will check and if I find them I will let you know.         Fubar

Top Bottom