ZZZZZZZZZAAP!

Buck-eye

Reaction score
We had a storm roll in. Lil Buck, is one of those kids that has always been plagued with fear of loud noises. So, when a typical Cen Fl thunder-boomer comes through, I always calm him to the best of my ability. Part of that is assurance that we are safe, and lightnigh will never hit us. It was close to bedtime, and we walked in to the master bedroom , where mom is feeding the new baby. We round the bed for kisses goodnight, and THWACK!!!! A huge lightning strike hits the back yard. The crack was deafening. I instantaneously felt a surge of electricity run up my left leg. It was a creepy feeling. About half of the jolt you would get from stickin a key in the light socket (SURE, like you never did it too). Everyone in the room was wide-eyed and a bit freaked. We went in to the hall until the storm passed, and all ended up fine.
Except, when we went to the other side of the house the next morn, all of the electrical outlets were out, the phone lines were dead, and the central vac system was dead. Luckily, the outlets were a reset away, and the phone lines were covered from the phone compnay. Central vac however, I do not know. The vacuum in the garage works fine, but the two units in the house are kaput. It was a "shocking" experience, that has now been filed away inthe Buck-eye lore.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Wow, that is gnarly. Glad you are OK. Look at the bright side, at least now the whole house doesn't suck.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Those are scary. What did it do outside the house? My neighbor's sweet gum tree got hit a couple of years ago. It jumped from the gum into the ground, vaporized the water in the main and blew it out, rupturing the gas line when it did. He had a three foot hole with water and gas spewing. Luckily the gas did not ignite.

inchr48

Reaction score
Our transformer took a hit last August. Threw a couple breakers in the house, so I thought no big deal. Then some appliances were acting funky. Ended up being the transformer was pushing nearly 150 volts into the house instead of 120. The extra voltage was causing everything to overheat. Power company took care of it (their transformer).

Buck-eye

Reaction score
I didnt notice any damage believe it or not (outside). We have conservation in the back. No trees were split, no fires, but I am curious as to what may have happened.

Drayton

Reaction score
This is the state with the most lightning strikes by far. If you live near a park or golf course you can hear the lightning alert system. When it goes off I get inside.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom