ZZZZZZZzzzzzz........BIG TIME

Freedivr2

Reaction score
The reason for this post is two fold, first to thank one of the members of this forum (you know who you are) who was so outstandingly generous by taking me Mako shark fishing yesterday. I will not divulge your name because I don't want to compromise our new friendship, and because maybe you don't want anyone to know know if you'd either be embarrassed or maybe just don't want inquiries on this topic. Otherwise I'd tell everyone here how cool you are, and how much you know about Mako fishing. If you want to post a "you're welcome" to let everyone know that we have a very good Mako shark hunter on board this forum, please do.

Secondly, I wanted to post how impressed I was with the fight that Makos put up. We caught two sharks yesterday, one going about 60 lbs. and a second going right at 100 lbs. (but it looked and felt like, and, it was the opinion of a few of those-in-the-know that this second fish was closer to 150). The first Mako took about 15 minutes to land, made a few strong runs (especially when she came up to the side of the boat), and was a thrill a second. The second Mako hit about 15 minutes after I re-baited, and it was about three times as exciting and as tough. This one was a bull Mako and made strong runs after runs. Whenever he came within 50 feet of the boat hull, ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz went the 6-0 Penn, and down he went again. A full-fledged fight, with no pause in the action, for 45 minutes. Tougher pound for pound than either of the two Marlin I've landed. Never ever before had I felt the sideplate on my reel get hot, but it sure did with this bruiser. Definitely a very stubborn, handsome, even regal fish, who even at the end, had no intention of coming to the boat in any manner other than sideways, dorsal fin up; he wouldn't give up an ounce of his dignity and come to the boat head-first or belly up. In other words, never gave up for a second and held his head high to the end of the fight. To all of you who have hooked and landed a Mako, my hat's off to you. This an outstanding sportsfish and a resource that I hope we all should respect.

P.S. These are excellent fare when cubed, soaked for 2 hrs in Teriyaki, then kabob'd with pineapple, onion, tomatoes, bellpeppers and mushrooms. mmmmmmmmmmmmm

(Edited by Freedivr2 at 9:11 pm on Aug. 11, 2002)

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Well, you are very welcome.  Thanks for the kind words.  I actually had more fun watching you catch those sharks than I would have if I'd hooked it.  Besides it looked like too much work.  LOL.  I talked to one of my shark fishin buddies, who has caught many more than I have, and after describing that fish we both agreed that it was closer to 150 lbs than 100.  But who cares.  That shark was a bad boy.  He fought harder than I have ever seen one fight.  He did go out like a champ.  I'd be happy to share any info I can on mako fishing.  They definitely deserve our utmost respect.  Release what you can and only keep a fish or two each season.  And yes, they sure are tasty.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Sounds like you guys had a blast. I go Shark fishing with a buddy of mine and man what a kick in the pants. The cool thing about catching Therashers is they jump out of the water, kinda like Durado. I know the feeling you guys are talking about, what a rush when you hear the real go ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Great story Freedivr2 and SDHNTR. I've only went shark fishing a couple times but it was a kick in the pants. They do taste good too.

Tell me someone had a camera right????

Freedivr2

Reaction score
Ummmmmmm a camera? Nah, we didn't know that was a gear requirement for sharkin.

Seriously though, I've got a really bad habit of NOT bringing my camera when I dive, fish or hunt. Just isn't on my "to pack" list. But that's the end of the bad news.

The good news is that SDHUNTER's father was kind enough to meet us at the dock and HE took a couple of pics of me hoisting the larger shark. Those pics are forthcoming and as soon as I get them, I'll be glad to post em (however you do that). I also took a couple closeup pics of the heads of both sharks together with the jaws propped open a little. Those pics are at Rite-aid and I should have them back tomorrow, then scan em on Friday and I'll post them in the meantime.

P.S. also in that roll of film I have a pic of two wild boars that I shot with one bullet a couple of months ago. My partner and I called them the domino twins cause they fell like a couple of dominos at the shot. I'll post them (and a short story) somewhere in the pig hunting forum (might not be a good pic, though, because I had to take it after sundown....we'll see, stay tuned).

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Nice fish, Freedivr!  

It's been a long time since I got into the sharks.  One day I'm gonna have to come down south and jump into some of this action.  

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom