Are You sighted in and ready?

OPAH

Thank you Adam, I guess at this point I have a good group at 100yds and an 1" low at 200yds, not many places I hunt that I have much more than a couple hundred yards. I can live with that for now.
Know of any range in the in-land empire that has 300 + firing lanes?

adam32

Thank you Adam, I guess at this point I have a good group at 100yds and an 1" low at 200yds, not many places I hunt that I have much more than a couple hundred yards. I can live with that for now.
Know of any range in the in-land empire that has 300 + firing lanes?
100 yard zero is perfect for 90% of hunting, unless you are "planning" on shooting more then 400+ yards a 100 zero is just dandy.

I don't even know where Inland Empire is lol

Aught-SixGuy

Agreed. Those are basic charts, and I don't agree with people basing their ballistics on what a chart says unless they run their actual numbers through a calculator. Velocities change somewhat with barrel length, and there is no mention of atmospheric data. I shoot a .30-06, and it's spitting my 168 Berger Classic Hunters out at 3021fps (chronograph verified) with a low SD and velocity spread. My charts look nothing like what is shown. I don't even advocate guys taking 300 yard shots with factory ammo due to the inherent inconsistencies with it. By the way a .243AI is a smoking little cartridge! I'm on my way to building a .280AI here soon.

mezcan

You shooting off a bench or prone off a bipod? Make sure your mounts, rings and action screws are tight. A Vanguard should shoot MOA most of the time. Unless that target is pretty small??
Holes are 3/10 of an inch (30 cal) , I wouldn't post a pic until ya tighten em up a bit . Easier to zero a rifle at a 100 yards target distance for your 200 yard zero. Crosshairs dead center (point of aim ) impact 1 1/2 " above point of aim at 100 yards . Do 3 shot groups and adjust windage and elevation knobs on scope accordingly , you'll get them groups tight in a hurry ! All of what Adam said too !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KTKT70

Need to hit the range with my 06. It's out of the shop and ready for some action. Took way to long for the repairs, but should be good to go for years to come. 40 year old gun for a 40 year old hunter. Lol

Any guys around kern going to range soon?? Im guessing everyone will be shooting at 5 dogs. I have access to a private range but do not have any bench equipment.

TheGDog

Frustratingly took forever after remounting with a DNZ mount. Because it was way off and the backboard at the place was swiss cheese already.

But once I finally touched paper... clickity-click-click... and I was so happy that the accuracy issues with the new .223 from the previous outing... was gone.

And also re-sighted in my .30-30. Dang glad I decided to re-sight in that .30-30. Original sight-in was done at 25yd, so it needed further refinement out at 100.

Remington 783 in .223 w 2-7x32mm Vortex Crossfire II
firing Remington Hog Hammer 62gr TSX
View attachment 88466
Pretty sure this one is the Marlin 336BL .30-30 (shot with a 1-3x20mm Weaver Classic)
Had to adjust it, but not too darn much. Man... was so happy to get this grouping at 100yds with only 3x !
Federal Premium Trophy Copper 150gr. They are Hollow Points that are Ballistic-Tipped with Polymer Round Noses.
View attachment 88467

Another shot string with the .223, same ammo. The reticle line completely covers the red center at 100yds at 7x
View attachment 88468

Top Bottom