AR For Hunting

pierpont scott

Franklin armory has an California approved Maglock. There are several others that meet the requirements. I hunt with an AR on a weekly basis . Have been checked by wardens several times never a peep about my AR. I go target shooting with a chp officer regularly, we both shoot AR's my mag locked AR is compliant as is his per is commanding officer. We run the same locks....

dunderee

Bolt action AR. I bet those are accurate. As far as hunting deer with mini 14. Do yourself a solid and get mini 30.

mezcan

Old thread , but funny. I hunt with my AR with an AR maglock. Fixed magazine , pain in the ass to drop mag in the field . Only time I have had to drop a magazine in the field is squirrel hunting. Other game I never go through a magazine on a walk or stalk or sit down hunt. If a warden wants me to let him check my AR I will just tell him to stand back and give me a minute while I take the gun apart to make it safe for him to inspect. If he’s observant he will see the steps I take make it self-explanatory that it’s a legal rifle. If he needs to touch it after watching me go through the steps to remove the magazine he’s an idiot.
Quaildeath , I still love shooting my pistol grip bolt action squirrel evaporator! LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MariotheBarber

Well from my understanding right now, if you use a AR to hunt with it has to be “feature-less”, which to me takes away the whole point of using an AR. Might as well use a Mini 14 if you want to use a semi-auto 5.56

MariotheBarber

Everything you just wrote is untrue. Put a maglock on your AR lower and your rifle is California legal. No registration ! Not and assualt weapon. Don't spread FUD.
How’s that working out for you pal? A mag lock is not the issue, it’s the assault weapon features. Good luck in court with your mag-locked AR.

Fredezee

20180307_191635.jpg
Here is what I use. M1A scout .308. Featureless (No pistol grip, telescoping stock, flash suppressor, bayonet lug or grenade launcher lol) except for the detachable magazine THAT I addressed with a maglock. You have to open the trigger locking mechanism that resleases the entire trigger mechanism which basically disassembles the stock from the barrel and action, releasing the magazine. BUT, you CANNOT load a loaded magazine, it just will not let you unless you press down on the loaded rounds to lock the trigger mechanism back in place. Only solution is top loading one by one or use stripper clips that load through a guide. No issues hunting with it. I have had encounters already with BLM LEO and Game wardens. No issues. They took a close look at it and let me go on my merry way. :)

Stevehazard

Old thread , but funny. I hunt with my AR with an AR maglock. Fixed magazine , pain in the ass to drop mag in the field . Only time I have had to drop a magazine in the field is squirrel hunting. Other game I never go through a magazine on a walk or stalk or sit down hunt. If a warden wants me to let him check my AR I will just tell him to stand back and give me a minute while I take the gun apart to make it safe for him to inspect. If he’s observant he will see the steps I take make it self-explanatory that it’s a legal rifle. If he needs to touch it after watching me go through the steps to remove the magazine he’s an idiot.
Quaildeath , I still love shooting my pistol grip bolt action squirrel evaporator! LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be honest I'd operate the charging handle 10 times and manually eject all the rounds in front of LE. If you remove the mag and then happen to close the upper back up without a mag in there then guess what.... there is no magazine anymore and therefore no longer a fixed mag. I know... extremely stupid, and probably unlikely that an LE outside of DOJ would try to apply the law in that way but just an FYI out there for people to CYA.

People have created much better featureless grips to use now like sparrow dynamics, featureless arms, and resurgent arms. Or if you go the fixed mag device you can use it with a takedown pin like the kingpin or the one from juggernaut. I would NOT put a bullet button back on my gun if it was suddenly legal again with the options we have now.

canamrider07

Fredezee, the picture problem I think is the website? My apple phone pics do the same thing. Nice setup with your rifle.

Last edited:

Top Bottom