best caliber for hogs .. not sure how to make this a poll

What's the best caliber for hogs?

• Total voters

Frenimy

Reaction score
For those of you against a 243, what are your reasons? I am looking for a gun for my now 10 yo daughter to learn with and in a couple years possible take a pig with. I have been looking at the 243 a lot but also like the 7mm-08.

iforge03

Reaction score
ivd used my .25-06, 7mm wsm, and .243. i used an accubond in 7mm and berger vlds in the other two. so far all three have dropped like the rug was pulled out from under them. i just had my .30-30 ackley improved, and i cant wait to try it out

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
there are lots of u here that could take a pig with 1 shot with a heavy bullet with a 243 but im still pretty new to hunting only shot 2 pigs nodeer for he pas t 2 years and lots of upland but for a starter deer rifle a 243 is good i would get her a 2506 if t were me look at the tikkas and weatherbys

OVHunter916

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the 308 Win and 30-06 for pig hunting as they are moderate in terms of velocity and recoil and offer fairly heavy bullets with good penetration. If you work the wind you can usually stalk a lot closer to pigs than deer due to their rather poor long range vision. However, with the new lead free projectiles offering superior penetration, the 243, 257, 260, 7mm-08, and 270 are very viable choices. It is all about shot placement, but hogs are tough and so I'd rather not be undergunned especially as I don't go for head shots. One more consideration with the new lead free projectiles we're all going to have to be using soon is to drop down in bullet weight and step up in velocity to ensure adequate expansion. My experience is that the Barnes TSX will do better at lower velocities than the Hornady GMX or similar gilding metal bullets. But I'll stick with lead as long as I can get away with it.

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
i have a 45lc rossi lever action this would work well inside 100 yards right?

TraditionalGuy

Reaction score
I've had the most luck with a simple 600 grain Douglas Fir wood arrow tipped with a two bladed Magnus head.

As for rifles calibers, mine isn't listed. The good ol' 45-70 govt. really takes down pigs just fine, as well as just about any other NA animal

tpuig

JHO Team Member
Reaction score
.450 Bushmaster, 7mm Mag, 30-06. All straight down. No pig I've shot has taken a step with any of these. (I'm probably jinxing myself here...)

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Whatever you have at the time of a hog encounter. Although it may not be legal in some states especially commiefornia but a .22 in the head of any pig will do. Any bigger caliber will do better.

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
It does not matter what hunting forum you are in, the most common poll is "What is the best caliber for..."
I got my hogs from all i have but my best and quickest and cleanest kills were from my 223 and my Grim Ripper broadhead. And i personally participated in butchering a 1,000 pound bull with 22LR.
Everything is about a shot placement which my 223 allows for its accuracy and my bow for target being at close distance.

Uncle Bambi

Reaction score
Whatever you have at the time of a hog encounter. Although it may not be legal in some states especially commiefornia but a .22 in the head of any pig will do. Any bigger caliber will do better.
I've personally witnessed a 120lb'ish sow killed with a 20 gauge loaded with bird shot. It was literally a "coming straight for me" "the pig or me" situation.

jimmy88h

Reaction score
I hate to beat a dead horse but I definitely have to agree that its all about shot placement. Caliber is preference after that. I've heard a lot of arguments that 270's are more accurate for the distance you're shooting but then 30-06 has that knock down power. I personally run with the 30-06 on my rifle but thats only because I only own 1 rifle so far and that caliber can pretty much hunt anything on earth (thats still alive lol).

In regards to the barnes tsx, I actually have a funny story. I was on a ranch for my first hog hunt, a man came into the processing area pissed as hell. Asked him what was wrong. He fired at a cluster of hogs and piglets with his sights on one of the sow. The round ended up piercing straight through the sow and hitting one of the piglets. Turned his $600 hog shot hunt into a $1200 hunt. Moral of the story is watch out for the pass through on those rounds.

Sawfish

Reaction score
Within reasonable distances, the .44 Magnum handgun is my preference.

sportyg

Reaction score
rifle .7mm cause that is what I shoot, a .12 with slugs works as well as my Gold Tips on a 29" shaft.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
You guys are doing it all wrong. They come running to to commit suicide. Who the h=// needs a gun.

bisonic

Reaction score
I hunt with a 30-06, 270, and 30-30. The first two are pretty much equivalents, both have plenty of power, accuracy, and distance. I love carrying the 30-30 (it's a 1940's Win M84) but it just doesn't carry the same punch. It's fine for sows and smaller boars but has trouble penetrating thru the thick shield of a big boar. I hit a 225 lb+ boar broadside with the 30-30 from 50 yards, heard the bullet slap against the shield, and watched him run off into the brush.

As to .223s... sure, if you're really confident in your shooting and KNOW you can make a clean killing shot. For the rest of the 99% of us IMHO it simply doesn't have the power needed. I've pulled .223 rounds out of the shield of boars that got stuck in the shield and ribs on the way in.

canamrider07

Reaction score
As most know by now, I disagree: "As to .223s IMHO it simply doesn't have the power needed"

CurtisBoars8 (2).JPGNightboar3.JPGBloodySow4 (2).JPGBigHog3.JPG

Last edited:

muskeg

Reaction score
PIG1.jpg

I like my 45/70 ... it gets the job done ...

Planetcat

Reaction score
Killed them with .270, 30-06, 300wm, .308, and .338. It is about shot placement, but the .300 and .338 will drop them in their tracks. If you can’t/don’t want to track them far due to terrain, the magnums will do the trick. They also help a bad shot be less bad.

Top Bottom