best caliber for hogs .. not sure how to make this a poll

What's the best caliber for hogs?

• Total voters

bisonic

Reaction score
As most know by now, I disagree: "As to .223s IMHO it simply doesn't have the power needed"

View attachment 76505View attachment 76506View attachment 76507View attachment 76508

Nice shooting' Canam... but I stand by my comment WITH it's qualifications. A 223 has roughly 1250 ft-lbs of energy vs. 3000 for a 30-06. No doubt the 223's is more than sufficient for a well-placed shot and/or a relatively thin skin, but I would far prefer the power of a larger round, particularly for a boiler room shot at a big boar with a 2" thick shield. No argument here, I think we'd both agree that the choice of caliber depends on the hunter's degree of comfort in their ability to make a clean kill. For anyone less sure of their ability, more power is a good thing.

canamrider07

Reaction score
I do hunt differently then most pig hunters. I’m rarely in an open space, usually in woods or brush that is difficult to walk through. Shots rarely over 40 yards. If I don’t drop the pig in its tracks I won’t find it, and I have only lost one. The mini ruger I use is easy to shoot and very accurate. My last box of 20 Barnes Vor-TX I got 21 pigs. But, yes for longer shots a larger gun would be better.

Sawfish

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Ruger Mini 40 in 7.62x39 ? Looks like this would be a good close quarters hog killer with Barnes bullets.

Top Bottom