California guides against bowhunters

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Speckmisser,

I think you are talking "Bows and Boars". Unless something has drastically changed I know the hogs are definitely not put and take. I never hunted it, but a friend has videos of his hunts on the ranch. Large groups of hogs and fairly wild. I have not heard how they are now but when he hunted it, you could keep coming back until you scored a pig. He did say that a stuck and not found pig counted towards your harvest.

jen

Reaction score
I have heard of Hogs Wild or at least seen them on the web.

I guess I had better start practicing alot. It gets pretty cold practicing outside in Minnesota. I did send you a pm. Hope you can answer the questions I asked.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Shoveler,

That's the one. I was trying to search for it today, but couldn't get the right combination of keywords.

Anyway, I was gonna try them out this year, but between hunting with Chopper in March and the Ham Slam in May, well, I'm pretty much done in for paid hunts (unless I win the lottery).

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I think the guy at Archery Only is named Wayne "something". Was there bow shopping the other day.

There's also a store called Trophy Archery in San Jose. The owner of the store can set you up on a guided archery pig hunt. I think the number is 408-559-3396 and the guy's name is Joe Martin. Good luck.

L2H

Tom Petterson

Reaction score
speckmisser I talked to Jim Cox I spesificaly asked how he has so many pigs and he said that he raises them and then puts them in the area. He shots sothing like 400 animals a year so he is deffinatly puting animals in the encloser.

Hey radernation what complaints do you have with JCA? I want to know I was thinking of going.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Tom,

Jim Cox runs JCA. That's not the place I was talking about.

Bows and Boars is the one I was thinking of.

By the way, I don't necessarily have a problem with put and take if the animals are wild and the habitat is open. Not sure that, at this point in my hunting career that's the route I'd choose to hunt, but if the situation were right...

raidernation

Reaction score
Tom-
Sent you a PM.

Speck
JCA would definetly NOT be your type of hunt

Speckmisser

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
JCA would definetly NOT be your type of hunt[/b]
'preciate the tip, RaiderNation. Mental note made and filed.

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Speck,

If you ever head to Bows and Boars and want company let me know. I live in the Sonora area and have been mulling over a trip there. My friend that has hunted it was always impressed. Unfortunately he married a "princess" and no longer is able to hunt.
I'd prefer a 'tween hunt (between the end of duck season and the start of turkey). Does not sound like this year for you, but we could put it on the radar for next. Who knows it might be a good JHO outing.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Shoveler,

Yeah, let's keep it on tap. This Spring is almost definitely out (unless I win the lottery or something), but summer or next year might be cool.

Oh yeah! Jen, did you find a hunt or are you still working on it?

jen

Reaction score
No I haven't found a hunt yet. I have sent out some emails and am hoping for a response. I did call archer only. They only could give me one name and it was pretty far down south.

I have been working a few nights on a project this week so I have been busy. Plus my enthusiasm is waning. It is hard to find a sunday/monday hunt with a bow for one person. Everyone wants 3-5 hunters. I was half hoping that someone reading this forum might be interested but I do understand the dates are hard to make because of the week day.

It has been a little difficult following this thread. There are comments about who is good and who isn't. I will have to read it carefully and only call the guides that are recommended. Usually these posts are pretty good. A person who has a good hunt with someone is going to boast about it and a person who has a terrible hunt will let you know as well. It is almost like a reference. Pretty good deal.

I am still checking this post daily so keep the information coming. I do appreciate it.

jen

Reaction score
I spoke with Bob Larsen of Hillside Ranch. The ranch is located 100 miles north of SF. He only takes bowhunters and guides one day a week from October into May. He does this to preserve the quality of the hunt. He has been in business for 14 years. Since October the beginning of his guiding year he has had 100% harvest rate with his client bowhunters. His prices are very reasonable. It is fair chase.

Now this is what I am talking about. I talked with Bob for 30 minutes and I didn't want to hang up the phone. I talk to alot of guides. Rarely have I been so convinced on the phone by someone that they provide a quality hunt. I begged him to take me but he just couldn't and be fair to his other clients.

Unfortunately he is booked up until next October so I was not able to get in for March 28-30 like I had hoped.

I am still hoping I can find a good guide of this quality. Keep the tips coming.

rwlittle

Reaction score
Jen,

I was just going to recommend Bob to you. He was my first pig hunt and he knows those pigs and knows archery. He is a easy going guy and takes his job seriously. He loves his job and the ranch is one awesome place. I have hunted pigs only twice... once with him and once with Hogs Wild. Both were good hunts.

I would book with Bob right now for that October trip and save up your money for when you can come out. Make it something to look forward to. One word of advice...get in shape. Bob is in great shape and hikes those hills like a Navy Seal.

Good Luck.

jen

Reaction score
Yea, I am pretty disappointed. He is exactly what I am looking for. I still have to call Hogs Wild although I think they are to big. I am not sure they will be able to provide a good bowhunt. I assume since this thread is about a bowhunt that your hunt with Hogs Wild was a bowhunt.

I am half tempted to find a place on public land and just start walking!

rwlittle

Reaction score
Hogs wild is a bow hunt... a great bow hunt. Give them a call and see what they can work out with you.

jen

Reaction score
I am making some progress in finding a hunt. The one thing I have learned through this process is that all the guides make it sound like wild boar hunting is so easy. I spoke with someone last night and they said if I showed up with a couple of hours left of daylight that it is still likely that I would be successful. I don't want to seem to complain but are all guided hunts on ranches so easy? $750 which includes out-of-state license, tag, guide fee, hotel, etc. is alot to pay for a couple hour hunt. Where is the enjoyment or the chase?

When I mentioned the possibility of adding a turkey hunt the answers have been, turkey hunting is even easier than hog hunting. Whether I hunt elk, moose, bear or whitetail I am never assured with so much faith that I will be successful. Most will say they hope we will even see game. These are quality hunts still they never all but garantee a harvest. Is this usual in California for wild boar and turkey on private land/ranches?

Another thing I am curious about is do you get the hog meat made into something? With whitetail and bear I make alot of jerky and have polish dogs and salami sandwich meat made up. What can be done with wild boar? We rarely eat ham, sausage or bacon so I am wondering what the alternatives are.

One last thing. Is wild boar as lean as venision? I don't think ham purchased at a store is very lean. I have herd wild boar is lean. Just curious.

BOHNTR

Reaction score
I've arrowed several hogs from the Tejon Ranch. I believe they also have an outfitter that books archery only hunts there. If not, you can hunt the POR with a bow. There's lots of hogs and some good ones too. Hope it helps.

BOHNTR )))------------------->

biggame_guide

Reaction score
If you go to www.dfg.ca.gov and look at the guide list i believe you can see who does and doesn't guide for bowhunters.I know there was an option for that on the application.

Boss Hog

Top Bottom