New CA free range hog record, 733.51 lb. #3 in world. Taken near Ft. Bragg CA by Joe Orth.

MikenSoCo

Reaction score
I got that, thanks.... Just reread the measuring system you put forth. That tells me the lowers were each under two inches, correct? On a 320 lbs boar? (assuming they haven't been broken off). HHhhmmmm?

Last edited:

bisonic

Reaction score
Not quite - you average the length of the two lowers and multiply by 100 lbs. So the pig weighed 372 lbs and the average length of the two lowers was about 3.6 inches.

MikenSoCo

Reaction score
I know I'm a mathmatical moron, but I thought it said add 100 lbs. per inch of lower tusk? Anyways, nice hog regardless....

BobbyZ

Reaction score
The article shows the equation as:

Weight + average inch of lower tusks + (50 X The average inch of lower tusks) = Score.

So a 300lb hog with a 3 inch tusk and a 5 inch tusk would be: 300 + 4 + 200 = 504.
That's the tusks averaged: (3 + 5)/2 = 4.

Get it? Got it. Good!

Unless I'm a little 'dialed back' and read it wrong.

paintsign57

Reaction score
"We hunted a private ranch between Cloverdale and Fort Bragg. We were both successful" (Free range on private ranches....)

bisonic

Reaction score
Bobbyz - I stand corrected, though you have the formula slightly wrong. You add the total of the circumference (not length) of the two bottom teeth to the actual weight, plus 50 pounds times the average length. I should have read it more closely myself! Seems odd to add the circumference part as it's only a few "pounds".

From the article:

First, we would write down the weight of the boar (in pounds). Next, we would measure the circumference of each tusk at the base and add both tusk circumferences together. Last, we would add the length of each bottom tusk together (in inches) and multiply that number by 50. By adding these three numbers together we come up with the WWT score. It’s that simple! For the boar we just scored the formula should look like this:

W + C + (T x 50) = WWT Score 310 + 4 + (4 x 50) = WWT Score
310 + 4 + 200 = 514

Common Sense

Reaction score
I agree, a bunch of nonsense. Go hunting and have fun. I'd like to see them score hunters this way. Lets see, I'm 165 lbs and I add 100 points for each inch so I'd estimate I'm a 1165 pointer. Damn, I took a ruler and actually measured, I'm a 265 pointer....
Hey asaxon, this place would get downright boring without your wit and humor. (Kinda reminds me of good old Welby).

Anyway did I ever tell you about the time me and Jesse and Belch went out drinking one night? One bar was having a twenty year aniversary promotion, and was giving free drinks to any three men with twenty inches combined. Jesse said, "Come on boys, we'll get free drinks for sure". So Jesse plopped his out on the bar, and the bartender measured and said "ten inches", then Belch pulled his out and the bartender said "nine inches", then I took mine out and..."one inch"!

As we were drinking our free drinks Jesse said "I'm sure glad I had ten inches", and Belch said "I'm glad I had nine", and I said "I'm glad I had an erection.":bag-on-head:

Farmerdoug

Reaction score
Good one....I had to call my old dad and tell him that one.....:good post sign:

Just to put it into perspective.... Here's what a real 600lb plus boar looks like before and after. This is what you call an old sausage boar....Nothing else....Just the skin alone weighed over a 100lbs....I raised him from a baby until he just got too big and unmanageable.....That's my buddy kneeling down helping me bone the old boy out. It took a GMC Jimmy to get him up there, and a kubota to dump him....

The Boar 002.jpgThe Boar 003.jpgThe Boar 004.jpg

Last edited:

MikenSoCo

Reaction score
It's funny how the lowers are always used as the standard of how much a "trophy" the hog is.... I think the uppers can tell you alot. Big, stout, rotten black/brown uppers have been the better indicator on the boars I've taken. Fire away!

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom