Roll Call

Joshua

Reaction score
Hey, I'm Joshua Stark, and I hail from the Sacramento Delta. I just started shooting a recurve a few months ago, and love it! However, it's a tad short for me.

AIM T/D 50#, 58"

I used to shoot a short Browning-made Gander Mountain wheeled bow, liked it a lot, but really really like my recurve.
I'll be shooting 3Rivers wooden arrows with Magnus 4-blade vented bh's for deer, and a half-dozen flu-flus at the local pheasant population.

As I'm brand-new, you'll be answering a lot of my questions. Thanks in advance.

Walrus

Reaction score
Hello All You Trad Folks

I just recently got back on the net. Now I am located in Prescott AZ. A realy beautiful place once you get off in the mountains. I like the rustic feel around here too. You can still tell the locals here that you're going hunting and they wish you luck. Anyway I found a new Longbow that I think is the greatest. It's called a "Grizzly". They are made by my friend in Paulden AZ. I shot them against my old Widows and now the widows a gone. My Grizzly is smooth and very easy to shoot well. Anyway it's nice to be back. Good Luck to All Tom

scoutd

Reaction score
been shooting trad and archery for almost 10 yrs.

have many bows of choice

currently shooting a Vince Grgas Longbow

NESTO

Reaction score
been shooting since I was 10 and my first harvest was a couple squirrels, all down hill from there.

I have several self-bows, and laminate bows ranging from 58"-68"

I use hickory, ipe, bamboo, cherry, maple, even purpleheart(very hard to work with)

My current hunting bow choice is a 68" bamboo backed ipe reflex-deflex 56# @28

And I'm still trying for the elusive 200fps all natural bow(anyone got one?)

The only bows I have that I have not made is my first bow, a Falcon 25# @ 28 glassed recurve
and my first hunting bow a 62# @28 hickory backed cherry, sinew string, trad all the way.(but I don't enjoy shooting it.)

Any other bowyers out there in the san diego area?

Nesto

MWest

Reaction score
Hi,
New guy here. I'm currently in Texas but will be moving to the Oceanside,CA. area come late spring.
I shoot a Blacktail VL Elite 54#@28" I enjoy hunting Hogs,Jack Rabbits,Varmints and Deer in that order.
I'm going to need some help on where to hunt Jacks and Hogs when I get there, the deer I have covered. Grew up in Mono county(X-12) and my brother still lives there. Maybe if you could help me find some good Jack hunting in the south I could help with deer in X-12.
I also be looking for some 3D shoots to attend. I've got info on the Bear State Archers and I'll be looking them up when I get there.
This forum seems pretty slow. Not much traffic?
Mike

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
You're that fella that made all kinds of ruckus on another board regarding moving to California. I never saw the state get bashed so hard as on that thread. I'm glad to see you didn't listen to the naysayers. There is plenty of archery activity in this state for shoots and hunts if you know where to look and there are lots of other advantages to living here.
Do a Google search for "California Archery" and you'll find a site that lists most, if not all, 3d shoots. Many are mixed, wheelbows and trad, but there are some great trad only shoots when the 3d season gets along.
Welcome to Jesse's!

Guy

MWest

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
You're that fella that made all kinds of ruckus on another board regarding moving to California[/b]
I didn't think I made a ruckus, I just asked for some opinions. Boy I got em didn't I..LoL

Like I said I used to live there a long time ago(81) I lived in Lakewood, Long Beach and then Bridgeport. Things have changed a lot since I lived there.

I'm looking forward to the move and hunting with my brother again. I need a change in my life right now.

Thx for the tip and the welcome.

SoCalArcher

Reaction score
Simi Valley, CA
Black Widow Recurve - PSAII, 55#@30"
Hornes Archery Longbow - Traditionalist, 55#@30"

willscarlet

Reaction score
WOW, the last guy to register ahead of me was in"09? This forum must not be very well known. Anyway, new guy here, found this link at Greenmans Archery while looking for bamboo shafts. I'm located in N.E. Missouri, currently shoot a Morrison
ILF recurve. Will look-in quite often. Thanks.

Nom de Guerre

Reaction score
New here too. I started with a compound last year, and still shoot with a compound regularly, but this past Summer I bought a Toelke Whip, and I've been shooting that a lot more than my compound. It's 45 @ 28"

I'm enjoying the challenge of learning how to be consistently accurate with the long bow at a variety of ranges. Roving and shooting unknown distances is great fun.

I'm in Pasadena, CA

Last edited:

Orygun

Reaction score
WOW, the last guy to register ahead of me was in"09? This forum must not be very well known. Anyway, new guy here, found this link at Greenmans Archery while looking for bamboo shafts. I'm located in N.E. Missouri, currently shoot a Morrison ILF recurve. Will look-in quite often. Thanks.
Its known. The question is how many trad guys are on JHO to start with. The site is dominated by California guys. If they take a bow afield 99.5% of them are doing it with compounds. So your pool of actual trad guys on JHO is small to begin with. I'm a part timer that has dabbled with stick bows but hasn't fully committed. My reasoning is as follows.
In the farwest in most states you can harvest a single deer a year, Two in CA and maybe an extra in the other states with doe tags or special drawing tags and so on. In many cases the best hunts are by draw only and you may have a 2-3 year wait to get a tag. So, if you have waited 23 months to spend a week hunting for no more than one deer you get a bit cautious. Add into that fact that most hunting is on public land and deer numbers are much, much lower than you see in whitetail land. Most guys get 1, maybe 2 shots on a deer in that time. So, after all that time waiting (and money) to go afield with a stick and string and then having to get within deer fart hearing range to get a shot when you can up the anty with a compound most everyone goes modern on bows. If I lived in a state where I had multiple tags, like 3 or more, with huge deer populations I would be a full on trad only snob. I absolutely love my D-bow and the up close and real personal nature of trad hunting. Even arrow building. But, if I did that hear I would almost never have venison in my freezer. Also. Welcom to JHO!!

Top Bottom