Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Elk?

extreme01

Reaction score
Lifelong Oregonian, been hunting Oregon elk for 30+ years. I archery hunt with a Brackenbury recurve and several homemade selfbows. The first two weeks of the season I hunt near home, the last two weeks I go to eastern Oregon. My hunting partner lives on the eastside and keeps tabs on the elk year-round.

CountingCoo

Reaction score
I live in Ouray Colorado right in the midddle of some spectacular elk country. I moved here rom Georgia in 2002 and have hunted elk every year since. I've taken three bulls and a cow with rifle and I'm ashamed to say how many elk I've missed with a bow! I shoot a .300 RUM and 200grn TSX bullets. My bow is a Bowtech Tribute.

I have a great tag this year and hope to kill a big bull this season. Switching to muzzleloader and bow after this year. Taught myself how to elk hunt.
Every elk season is a dream hunt for me as i spent my childhood fantasizing about hunting the back country alone for screaming bulls.

Last edited:

T.R.

Reaction score
I grew up on Grandad's cattle ranch in Park County, Wyoming. We hunted the west facing foothills of Bighorn Mts. But rural Wyoming was too boring for me so I joined USAF right out of high school. My wife and I settled in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania after I retired. But we still own land in the forest near Spearfish, South Dakota. Most of my elk hunting has been in Wyoming but I tagged a nice bull in New Mexico in '87.

My favorite area of Wyoming to hunt elk is Crook County. Abundant public lands and limited number of tags. I get drawn for a license about every 4-5 years.

I hunt with a Winchester 94 in .356 shooting 250 grain factory ammo or Remington .308 shooting 200 grain Speer bonded bullet. Both outfits are lethal out to approx 225 yards or so. I tend to hunt rough country and that's where a short carbine is best for me. I've had good luck with both of these outfits. The Winchester is my favorite for elk and mulies.

TR

Last edited:

Aught-SixGuy

Reaction score
Live in SoCal and chase the Wapiti in Colorado, GMU 12. Took my first bull on the sixth day of my first hunt, DIY, OTC, 2nd season rifle. Got a nice 5x5. Dream hunt: Exactly the way it happened! Public land, DIY, OTC success!!!

yak4fish

Reaction score
I live in huntington Beach California and hunt Elk In Utah with a 30-06. I have tried archery a few times with no success but plan on trying again.
This years success.Hunt_5.JPG

SDarcher

Reaction score
I'm in So Cal. Due to time constraints I can't seem to get out of the state so I keep putting in for Cal elk....Im 35 now so I figure I'll either draw sometime before I'm 60 or so, or my schedule will loosen up and I can get out of state. If I draw anytime soon, I'll use my Weatherby .30-06.
I'm also in S Cali, In San Diego county. Where abouts are you from?Ever do any archery hunting? It's been hard finding others that hunt in my area so just trying to connect with other like minded outdoorsman.

devobrodie

Reaction score
From S. CA. (but not for long) hunted elk in CO once, no luck! AZ 5 times got 3, 2 with a bow, one with Rifle, UT 1x got a small bull, NV 1 x got a bull, and this year drew the Marble Mountains, hope to have luck! My wife drew here in CA last year and she got one.

SDarcher

Reaction score
From S. CA. (but not for long) hunted elk in CO once, no luck! AZ 5 times got 3, 2 with a bow, one with Rifle, UT 1x got a small bull, NV 1 x got a bull, and this year drew the Marble Mountains, hope to have luck! My wife drew here in CA last year and she got one.
Congrats to you and your wife. I'm doing an OTC mule deer hunt in Idaho this year. I missed out on the OTC elk tag so I took what I could get. I actually just found out they also sold out of those mule deer tags a few days ago. I'm just grateful to be going, especially in such a beautiful state. I work in education, i'm going to need that outdoor time especially after this covid mess. Never harvested with a compound, but this years the year!

Masterson82

Reaction score
I am from New Mexico but live in California. I mostly hunt back home but changing that this year. I hunt elk in unit 34 Sacramento Mountains in New Mexico, I killed my first cow when I was 15 and three more since then. I drew out for a bull tag once in my life and of course the navy had other plans for me, I deployed three days before the hunt started. I prefer hunting with muzzleloader but apply for rifle as second and third choices. I would say my dream hunt would either be the Villa Vidal hunt in New Mexico, or anywhere in Montana or Wyoming, I would like to see the country in those two states. I actually drew a late season cow tag out in New Mexico this year hoping I will be able to share a good story and pics with you guys.

dummer71

Reaction score
I am from New Mexico but live in California. I mostly hunt back home but changing that this year. I hunt elk in unit 34 Sacramento Mountains in New Mexico, I killed my first cow when I was 15 and three more since then. I drew out for a bull tag once in my life and of course the navy had other plans for me, I deployed three days before the hunt started. I prefer hunting with muzzleloader but apply for rifle as second and third choices. I would say my dream hunt would either be the Villa Vidal hunt in New Mexico, or anywhere in Montana or Wyoming, I would like to see the country in those two states. I actually drew a late season cow tag out in New Mexico this year hoping I will be able to share a good story and pics with you guys.
Damn! that's rough. Thanks for for your service.
Good luck on your upcoming hunt. Looking forward to the pictures and a good campfire story.

husky44

Reaction score
I'm originally from north-central Idaho but live in California for the last 45-years. Still have the ranch in Idaho. Hunt both Elk and deer on our property.

Top Bottom