New JHO Members- What's Going on Here Lately?....Take Precautions!

jimmmb

Reaction score
To expand on what Mr. Sunset said above, I will share my personal experience with JHO...that I hope perhaps some of the Newbies and "one post wonders" will read. I lurked on this forum for a long time, it wasn't until earlier this year that I really started to participate in the forums. In that short time, I have made several new friends that I have met and hunted with in person, and there are more in the hopper. I've gained access and information on new places to hunt, some I've never heard of...and some even on private land. I would dare to even say I've been given one or two "honey holes" (seems like a swear word on here now). I've had my bow restrung for no charge, been offered better equipment than mine to borrow upcoming trips, and had an all around eye opening experience...and again made some new and probably life-long friends. I think I really started here around March so less than 6 months time for all this to happen. All from a little bit of giving back, sharing what I know, staying (mostly) positive, and trying to help some other hunters in the process. It doesn't take a long time or an incredible amount of effort. Just be willing to share, and have a good attitude.
:JHO rocks:

Michigantransplant

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I read all your posts and I must say those are some bad stories. I from back east and I'm new to this hunting forum thing even thou I work for a tech company. HAHAHAHA! Things are really different here, back home hunting areas are not like a heavily guarded secrets and you have to practically kill someone for information. I understand that there is very little public land or honey holes to go to. I guess I have been fortunate to hunt with some nice guys. I am a newbie to California hunting and it seems like some tough hunting. Any info I have I'll be glad to share if anyone is interested but like I said I 'm new too. Plus, San Diego county is not that hunting friendly I'm finding out.

slanttop357

Reaction score
Welcome MT, you have got to try for some of the X zones up in the Sierras well worth it.

Bayboy2020

Reaction score
When I first joined one of my first posts was asking if anyone wanted to join me on a hunt on private property I have access to. Of course I had plenty of replies of people wanted to come. But I got one PM for BigSurArcher telling me to be careful of people who will to advantage of my offer.
I contacted one gentleman named Joe and after a few weeks of talking we met and had a great time(even though the weather was horrible).
The next person I took up there just happens to be the nicest MAN I've had the pleasure of meeting let alone hunting with. California is gonna miss you TRA.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Mlindsay when we going on that quail hunt?! My pup is getting fat lol

Bayboy2020

Reaction score
let me know when you want to go and we will set it up and put some meat in the freezer

EliteGame530

Reaction score
I appreciate every person who has ever helped me with a question I had or met up with me to teach me new things. Never will forget about you guys

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
It always seems this time of year when the rash of newbies r in and out and this thread should shed light to veteran JHO members why u should be cautious of new members who’s intentions r possibly to take advantage u, it does happen read my opening post.

And this post is educational for newbies to understand why JHO members r cautious or should b cautious about hooking up with a new members.
Besides my bad experience a few years ago As u can also read from Bubblehides recent post HOGMANIA AND BAD SANTA in the hog forum what could happen if u really don’t get to know someone before u hunt with them.

NOT All NEWBIES have misleading intentions but believe me a lot of them do as time and time again u will hear stories of bad hook ups.

JHO website has some of the greatest experienced highly educational hunters and outdoorsman who share a lot of helpful info about hunting that most very successful hunters on here or other websites would never share which is highly understandable due to putting in the time and hard work for years to have such great knowledge to b a successful hunter.

With this being said read all of these post and u can come to your own conclusions about hooking up with newbies or newbies hooking up with u.

NO FREE RIDES RIDES FOR FREELOADERS.........tra

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Here u go BrnsvllyJohn my friend, if u read all these post in this thread especially mine I guarantee u will take more precaution when it comes to helping new members. It’s a shame but their are some desperate people willing to say anything to get what they want and hurt other people in the process. Anyone like this don’t waste your time joining I will always call u out.....
Every year around this time we always go through this fluctuation of new people and u have to be savy because u have a lot of people trying to catfish members here believe me. Their are a lot of new members who r cool but their always a few Bad Santa’s.....lol......tra

wannabe

Reaction score
I have been on JHO since 2006, but I am a total rookie and have never been hunting. I'm ex military and have owned guns my whole life. When I got out of the Army, I didn't really want to kill anything for many years, until I got my hunting license last year. I'm 52 and am courteous and thankful for opportunities. The reason I'm writing this is that I totally fit the bill of someone who would love to have a hunting partner, but I am particular in the company I keep as well, so I don't blame you guys. Some people are generally assholes and if you go out of your way to help someone and they are rude, unaccommodating and selfish, that would really make you not want to help people anymore in general. Good luck and don't let the bastards grind you down! Mike

Sawfish

Reaction score
Very interesting stories. Like Roman Archer, I have been there, done that, but no more. This seems like a good place to air a pet peeve of mine. We have a lot of folks who drift through the reloading forums and open their discussions by telling about their expensive guns and then ask
" what is your pet load for...?". You are telling me about your $3,000 long range rig, and you have not even bothered to buy a reloading manual! Are you kidding me? Bet you don't own any maps either. At least make some feeble attempt to educate yourself before pressing others to fill in for your lack of knowledge or laziness.

Rick

Reaction score
I took a buddy out to some of my favorite spots a couple years ago, and he bagged a coyote on our first stand, along with hunting up a bunch of cottontails and jackrabbits, as well as a few quail. He posted a picture of the coyote and had a guy, who should have known better as he is not a new hunter, actually send him a map of the general area we were in and asked him to mark on the map where he got the coyote! This was obviously an attempt to horn in on areas that I had shown my friend. Fortunately, my friend did not fall for it.

Unfortunately, I have also had experiences when I took someone out and then had them tell a bunch of folks, who then proceeded to over hunt and ruin those spots or trash them with garbage, etc. At 67 and having hunted So Cal for most of those years, I do know some spots but nowadays many of them have closed down. I don't go dove hunting any more due to that and the crowds with some taking dangerous low shots. Many of my quail spots and hog spots are now developed or otherwise shut off.

I will probably do a guided hog hunt this year just to get one again,

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I would say be super careful divulging your "Hot Spots" to anyone. Some people don't have any class, integrity, or ethics, they just weren't born that way. It's always me first, I'm going to get mine with these guys. Don't get me started on this topic!

Chayito702

Reaction score
Sad to say I have gotten a few PM's regarding Deer season and the zones i hunt over the past 2 weeks. I also had one guy wanting to get Intel on where I hunt pigs. I just say public land, a couple of leather boots, $$$ in gas and there you will find deer and pig. I don't mind helping a fellow O.G with a good reputation here like Tra , Wolfman, revo etc.. but the them rookies need to know we have work hard for many years to find our honey holes.

Sawfish

Reaction score
Seems like the relevant question is where can you hunt. In other words, do you have a tag? Read the hunting digest and apply for an area that offers a record of decent success on larger bucks. When I was a newbie (many years ago) and wanted information I contacted the deer biologist or the game warden for the area where I had a license to hunt. I found most of them to be very helpful, but they generally won't spend a lot of time on someone who has not bothered to buy a tag. These folks are in the field all year and have extensive knowledge of their area. Check out sporting goods stores in the area you plan to hunt. The proprietors want you to hunt in their area so you can patronize their business. Same is true of butcher shops, and small restaurants. It is not really difficult to find an area to hunt, but it does take some effort. Be worthy of the information you seek, and if someone does divulge a secret spot to you, guard that information with your life.

Archer82

Reaction score
Damn, that sucks TRA. Im sorry to hear that happened to you.

Top Bottom