• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

The best pointing breed

What do you consider the best pointing breed?

• German shorhair pointer

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • German wirehair pointer

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • English pointer

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • English Setter

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Gordon Setter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Irish Setter

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Brittany Spaniel

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • Vizsla

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Weimaraner

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 6.5%

• Total voters

popndrop

My English Setter will hold his own against any of the above mentioned 3 breeds - even the little French one. I've hunted with all of them, and the only complaint I have about mine is that he is a little smarter than the others - and therefore has a slightly higher sense of self-preservation, which equates to an unwillingness to subject himself to undue pain if avoidable. Some of these other breeds will charge head first into a cactus patch after a bird, and my boy Buck will usually try to find an alternate solution. I'll admit that sometimes its nice to have a dog that follows orders blindly - but you can't have it all.

GSP357

GSP all the way. I have three of them my newest little girl i picked up from Larry Lowell she is only five months old and already pointing with her nose not by sight.

527varmint

Sort of a silly debate as each dog is an individual.

For example people say that a beagle does not retrieve. They also have a reputation for making alot of noise around the house but mine is silent. My rabbit beagle is an upland bird machine too! She has recovered about 95 % of downed birds. You just have to deal with the hard headed hound tempermant and the fact she is running a rabbit into the next county half the time lol. It can be annoying for my friends when we are trying to keep up with quailman's pointer and my dog is on a rabbit that heads the other direction!

Dogs are individuals. You just have to get lucky enough to get a good one and then train it properly. Even a stubborn old Beagle can get er done! Never would of found this chukar without her she even put it in my hand!

I'm hoping to get a pointer next. Looking at the vizsla, french brittany, and GSP. I really like the vizsla if I can find a good one. I like the look and the longer tail. I also like their size. French Brittany looks really good too but I hate long hair it makes a huge mess in the house. The GSP would be fine the only problem is they are too big for my small house and my little ford ranger.

Last edited:

jpkelley99

Major Dog pass some years back. He was the best bird dog in history Heart, guts, loyalty, pointed and retrieved from day one. Put the boots on the step and he would wait all night next to them....Red Dogs forever!
I HAVE TRAINED SEVERAL DOGS IN THE LAST 10 YEARS AND HAVE FOUND THE HUNGARIAN POINTER ( VIZSLA ) TO BE THE EASIEST AND MOST WILLING DOG TO TRAIN.
SMART, BOLD, AND A NATURAL RETRIEVER.

sean english

Wow. Who brought this old thread back to life?
Anyone knows what happened to the guy who started this thread? A new big Dady? I do know what happened a couple of years ago but was wondering if anyone has any "recent" news about him. Was a good guy. Took us pheasant and dove hunting in IV back in 2006 I think.

RCB

I pretty much like all the pointing breeds but I currently own GSPs. I am thinking of adding both a pointer and a brittany to the string once I have some room.

Top Bottom