The best pointing breed

What do you consider the best pointing breed?

• German shorhair pointer

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • German wirehair pointer

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • English pointer

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • English Setter

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Gordon Setter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Irish Setter

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Brittany Spaniel

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • Vizsla

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Weimaraner

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 6.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
[attachment=48014:Grif_n_ducky.JPG]I do train them myself now which is easy because they have become pretty much tuned. I hunt almost every weekend with them, everything from pheasant, quail, ducks, chukar and they do wonderful! I had some help when they were pups, it only took a couple lessons, mostly showing me what we needed to work on, they are "natural hunters". How old is your Griff? Where do you guys hunt? I enjoy hearing from Griff owners, only we know how fun they are to hunt with and how bad they want to please. I would like to hear more about your Griff.

Attachments

hoytrdye

Reaction score
My dog {jocey} is almost 17 months old, i mostly hunt at birds landing for pheasant and some chukar there, don't know of a place to hunt wild birds, plus it's easy for my young kids to come walk with us and it's close- i too love to hear bout griffs and talk to there owners, am a member of the local NAVHDA club and as luck would have it there is quite a few in the club when we get together! I have taken her duck hunting with me, this being my first year hunting ducks, but i hunt mostly with my father-in law and this year he had open heart surgery and not being any good at calling, and the ducks kinda thin this year i've been told, i need to get some help with her retrieving but not really worried yet, how long have you had griffs? who helped you with traing your pups?

Reaction score
These are the 1st Griffs i have owned. I became interested in them about 10yrs ago while duck hunting at Gray Lodge I seen a guy hunting with one and was impressed with the retrieving ability it was showing and with more research I found they are excellent pointers as well. I wanted a true versitile breed of a gun dog that would not only hunt upland but also sit in a duck blind. I had some training help from a guy at Yankee Slough Hunt Club in Lincoln, I can get you contact info if you are interested. I was a member of NAVHDA as well but never did get involved with any events, I have been thinking about rejoining though.

hoytrdye

Reaction score
I know the guy dan higgins, i went and met with him and plan to go back and see if he can help me with the retrieve{which she did one today-with competiton from another dog} and just plain polish her up some more--- have you hunted Yankee slough? and if you did what did you think, i was thinking of doing a quail hunt there, just not sure about the cover---- boy have we hijacked this thread or what!!!!

Reaction score
Yea we did hijack it and Yea thats the guy! he did a great job with my dogs and I highly recommend him. Yankee Slough has several different field types if you choose to have a field planted or hunt in the afternoon for leftovers you can pick the fields you want to hunt. There are a couple of fields that I have to put bells on the dogs to keep track of them, when the bells stop they are on point! I have been hunting out there off and on for 5 years and if you want to get your dog on some birds its a great place for that. I hunted it a couple weeks ago with a group of 15 guys and 75 birds planted, chukar and pheasant the dogs had a blast. It was a work sponsored client hunt (shoot).

birdcrazygsp

Reaction score
GSP!!! versitlity!!

duck hunting in the morning and roosters in the afternoon!!

Doves anyone?

and she can handle the big birds too!!

brushstomper

Reaction score
birdcrazygsp......those are some great pictures you have there and some great memories too. Thanks for sharing!!!!

RickQU/DU

Reaction score
Hmmmm I still don't see Labs on that pole and I know they don't go under the group of OTHER !!! Kinda makes me wonder if they are too much competition these days, The breeds getting more and more popular!!

rizkhan

Reaction score
Seen and kept different breeds but there is nothing like pure german pointer. Well balanced dog and fit for all kind of hunting and terrain

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
Great dogs! Great photos of those that posted them!

once again, "BEST" well, let's just agree to disagree, there is NO best, they're all GREAT!

It's like judging Miss America, Miss Universe, Playboy's centerfold, who has the nerve to argue that?

My personal choice just so happened to be the "Vizsla" and with or without the hoopla, it's been a more than good enough breed for me, as well as many folks I've hunted with, and come to know through the years!

I've hunted with owners of GSP's, Britts, ESS's, Lab's, Weim's, Cockers, EP's and I have first hand experience witnessing all of these breeds abilities in the field.

I only wish, I could own one of them all, and share time with them!

Get over yourselves, there is no "BEST" PERIOD!

It's all a matter of choice/opinion, and you know we all have the same shute!

Attachments

Karlt45

Reaction score
I'm working on a GWP/Catahoula Leopard Dog mix. He's about 8 months old and has a really big prey drive. It'll be his first season, so wish me luck.

gundogs

Reaction score
[attachment=54433:Tourname..._Seminar.doc]Hi Karl:
Good to see you have made it to Jesse's. Good luck with the new puppy, if he works like your other dogs you will no doubt fill your game bag in short order. ***Here is an idea how about you and I get him started in some of the gun dog competitions? *** I have a seminar on Sept 20 at the 4 Seasons Hunt Club in Tehachappi it includes not just the seminar on tournament hunting but a four bird hunt in tourney format and a lunch.
Bryce

Attachments

quailman

Reaction score
The best pointing breed are between three breeds of the gsp, english pointer and the brittany. Then it comes down to training and if the birddog has breed in hunting instincts.

HunterCT

Reaction score
Well, there is more to hunting dogs than the 3 major breeds.
I've put up my Braque du Bourbonnais against all of them and we have done our share of winning and in the house they are great (non-destructive & clean).
The reality is that you'll find outstanding dogs amongst all of these breeds.

Top Bottom