Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Hogs?

Moskinyca

Hello I am from Trcay CA, and grew up in Merced CA. I'm a new hunter that started up north in BC Canada Moose hunting with my father inlaw. I just started hunting CA and am starting with hogs have been out to Frank Rianes near Paterson last Feb withno sign. Have also been out to the Hollister BLM land, Curry MTN a killer hike, Condon Peak also a killer ikebut not much new sign, Laguna MTN lots of promise. Am going to hunt FHL this Saturday for the 1st time.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Moskinyca welcome to JHO and the Hog forum, someday I want to do a moose hunt with bow for sure. So ya want to knock of some piggies that's cool, what Do u hunt with bow , gun or both?.........tra
Ps., ever gave a grizzly encounter...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

ndizzle

hi all i am from san jose and i am going fist time hunting this weekend at upper cottonwood creek wildlife.going for some pigs

DuckFever

Good luck ndizzle, UCC is tough hunting, I've hunted there all day twice before and only saw old sign. Hope you get some pork on the fork.

Moskinyca

Roman Archer thanks, have hunted moose only with a 300mag I would like to try a BOW someday maybe with pig or dear 1st. We were surrounded by bown bears while siting in a clear cut one year way up north near Fort St James but have not run into any grizzlies, lots of bear sign up there.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Yeh if u were hunting moose I figured u might have a good bear story to tell. Well I wish u great success on your pig hunting adventure. Have u great day!...tra

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

ouch1

Hello All,

I am from San Jose, CA. But being a military brat I was raised all over the US. I have hunted white tail in OK, VA, TX, MN, and MI (both the U.P. and L.P.). Recently got the itch to get back into boar hunting. But the last time I went was back in the early 90's in LPNF near China Camp, and I heard that since the fires a few years ago the hunting there is pretty bad. I need to find a local place that I don't have to pay out the nose for. I usually hunt with a Remington 788 in .308Win, or a Mossberg 16ga bolt action shotgun. Although I have access to a Alexander arms .50 Beowulf that a friend custom built for himself; among a few other firearms. I heard some rumors about some land owners out by Patterson and Los Banos who might be looking for some hog removal. If anyone has heard anything please let me know.

-ouch1

7Mag_PigHunter

From SanFernando Valley and I hunt only on public lands on the central coast of California... Love the oaks trees and yellow fields and espeically when you find a black object running across the open flats!! =)

CaptAmana

Living in Orange, CA where the only pigs belong to the 4H kids. Took my only pig at Vandenberg in 1969 and want to start hunting them again. My goal is to get my next pig with my PSE. I'm an old guy trying to complete his million dollar bucket list for $12.50. Need to learn the ropes and appreciate any help from those in the know.

HuntnBrew

Hey there all. I'm in San Diego. Doing my best to get into hog hunting here. Did a lot of deer, elk, bear and cat hunting back home. Funny talking to people around here about hunting. I guess most expect to hit a pig with a car and throw it in the back of their truck. I like getting dirty, going where few have gone before and back packing it in and out. I definately would like to get something every time I hunt but don't expect it. I guess that's why I hunt in the woods and not the local Albertsons. Cheers to all of you other military hunters down here in Socal. I use my Win Model 70 and Rem 870 Express. Would love to get into bow hunting though.

Last edited:

HuntnBrew

Moskinyca,
I assume "bown bear" means brown bear. Grizzlies are brown bear. just so you know.

Last edited:

Criley

Hello fellow hog hunters. I'm from Sonoma County California and I hunt hogz with my Remington pump action 12 gauge or my PSE Brute compound bow. This has been my first season hog hunting and I have taken 2 hogs, 1 with shotgun on private land in the central valley and 1 with bow at Lake Sonoma. I have put in some time at Public lands like Cache creek, Rector reservoir and The Geysers here in Northern California and I'm hoping to try out Knoxville, Indian valley reservoir, and Mendocino National Forest.

Hello all, Kings County Ca working out of NAS Lemoore. 2011 was my first West Coast Hunting experience (Grew up in Pa and just returned from 15 years of overseas duty) and that heat is no joke! Hunting with my old faithful model 6 Rem .270 and my CVA muzzleloader. Covered lots of ground and have yet to see a wild hog at FHL. Seen everything else FHL has to offer so it's just a matter of time. Learned to hunt from my father and try to get back every now and then to join the old man in a white tail hunt.

famous2146

I'm new to the forum as well as hunting. I'm interested in any helpful info anyone can pass. I'm Current active duty military and deploy in December so would like to try it next month. I'm stationed in 29 palms and don't mind traveling for the thrill of a hunt.

Last edited:

HuntnBrew

So I've wanted to post on this forum for a while. I grew up in Idaho and went with friends to hunt bear with dogs. I didn't really hunt I just watched them. My parents are 2 of the only liberals in the state. I didn't start hunting until I was in the military. Now my friends and co-workers look forward to eating whatever game meat that I'm lucky enough to come home with. This year has been pretty good with an elk, grouse, duck, quail and about 200lbs of tuna, yellowtail and bass. Now, wild pig!! I finally got one. I've been out 20 times or so, almost all of it out in CNF. It's not for lack of trying either. Most times I backpacked and would exhaust myself. Mainly solo hunting too. I would find sign in cedar creek, kelly creek and kesler flat just no pig. I think that they're just not that many on public land in that area. My second time to Vandenberg I finally scored. I can finally say that I "hunt pig" as before I just walked around with a gun. I was up at VBAFB and was surprized when I showed up that the entire North was shut down. Only my 2nd time there., I didn't know the area very well. May have been a blessing though. I pulled a boar out of C5 apparently it was the last one since the 22nd, not too big of a boar 150-160. It was really a great story. After we pulled him out we put him in one of the pastures to take a cool pig pic with the ocean in the background. A big bull didn't like us gutting it so he false charged us and made us hide behind the truck until he realized it wasn't a cow. He walked about 5 feet from the pig and then kept moving. Since my buddy drove I decided to give him half, but I definately have the bug and can't wait to get back out again. Here are a couple of pics. pig1.jpgpig 2.jpg

MGDeer

I'm an open public land kind of hunter even though 90% of CA hog harvest is on private land; it-is-what-it-is (iiwii). The aggravating part of private land is that it shuts off the access to public land that my tax $ pay for, again iiwii. So call me stubborn & driven to hike miles to harvest a pig,lol. I use either my .06, 300,or bow and have suffered dehydration and all the beautiful effects that go with the determination to chase to kill pig. My luck is low but I prepare and hope for opportunity. I am the coyo & I hunt with the wolf & bee, the later are legit hard core hunters who have taught me the ins - n - out of piggy chasing. I like a good hunting story and have a few good one too. Merry Christmas to all & yours and God bless.

cali-carnivore

Hello all. I am from SoCal and took my first pig in 1987 with a bow on an old WU property in Monterey. I have never taken a big game animal with a gun, strictly stick and string. I primarily hunt WU ranches all over Cali, but I do occasionally hit public land with a friend. After 100+ pigs with a bow, the best advice I can give newbies is that feral pigs may be the smartest game animal you will ever hunt but they still cant read. Time in the field and finding them will teach you that everything written about them is only a starting point. they do not follow the script very often! My dream hunt would be to be able to go back 20 years and do a pig/goat/deer combo on Catalina again. I will also give out a public land spot that I have took 14 pigs from over the last 20 years- Carrizzo National plains monument. Its big, but if you do your research and put in your time it is very good. Good luck to all.

OVHunter916

I'm currently residing in Orangevale (NW Sacramento Co.) I just got started pig hunting a couple years ago and took my first pig with Tom Willoughby's crew near Cholame. I've hunted/scouted public land a bit in the Coalinga area. Found a local Nor Cal public land honey hole but have yet to connect although I did come across a group of hogs at 30 yards while deer hunting and with no pig tag in my pocket... Will probably do another hunt with Tom & co this year. Looking for a hunting buddy in Sacramento area who's up to some public land hike in hunting (2 plus miles back is typical). I know some good spots. Even managed a public land buck this year. Oh, I hunt with my 30-06 Tikka and hand loaded 150 grain triple shocks.

Moskinyca

Moskinyca,
I assume "bown bear" means brown bear. Grizzlies are brown bear. just so you know.
HuntnBrew, yeah I know meant to say black bears, still trying to find pigs here in CA; but on my last trip up north (Canada) this guy snuck up on us while we were dozing off on the quads got within 5 feet and hung out for about 30minDSCN5161.jpgDSCN5166.jpg

Top Bottom