• Not too bad

Votes: 44 30.6%
  • Below Average

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • They suck hard!

Votes: 44 30.6%

• Total voters

solus

I had wu and when I went to book a weekend everything was booked seems like if you want a reservation you need to call it in the day they allow you to but financially they are expensive and rather hunt public land because I dont need a reservation I wasted my money on them

7mallards

Banned
Finally facts over opinions..Great post Whiskertick...Someone once told me the numbers don't lie and this sounds pretty close to the numbers not lying. Opinions are like well you know what and we all have them and instead of knowing what were talking about we "think" we know what were talking about because soemone once told us a story about this and that so we ramble on and on handing out false information time after time. One of the down falls of an "opinion" based forum.

Now I am not a member of WU but have friends who are and they LOVE it......It provides them with opportunites without much effort and once in awhile they have an issue with a reservation but not enough to make them quit the program. The one thing that they did say is that many times on the weekends if and when the reservations were full the other people never showed up and the spot was empty and they had the place to themseves.... Now this is "their" input on the WU not mine but I do know they LOVE it...

BrianS

The thing that finally nailed the coffin shut for me on WU was that towards the end of the sales pitch we were almost ready to buy. Had the forms filled out financial info exchanged asked a couple more question and then found out you could only take a few pigs each year. I hesitated then the guy told us that once you turn them down you don't get a second chance. WTF! I hate strong arm pressure tactics like that so we politely said no thanks and showed him the door. Also make sure you get your info back from the guy don't let him walk out the door with it.

Jean

The one thing that they did say is that many times on the weekends if and when the reservations were full the other people never showed up and the spot was empty and they had the place to themseves.... .
I am a WU member and I have seen this as well. I always figured that the guys made their reservations, but then went to a party somewhere else for the weekend.:stir pot::bag-on-head:

That being said, I have also cancelled or moved reservations at the last minute and WU has been easy to to work with for me.

7mallards

Banned
Just because on eguy made a strong arm sales approach doesn't make every one of them a bad sales rep and certainly has nothing to do with the property and or the huntining found of each said prooperty. Like everything in life peole are different from one person to another but you can't hold that against the entire WU as that makes no sense overall.

If you like a pretty much guaranteed place to hunt this is the venue for you. If not then go stand in line at a refuge try to find public or private land to hunt (with permission) and deal with the chaos... The best part of all of this is that you have a choice.....

"Don't hate the player hate the game" lol and maybe try contacting another sales rep that isn't so "pushy"

Have a great day and 7 more days till the shooting begins...

twacker

This thread makes me laugh. You ney-sayers have no idea what you are missing. I joined WU in 2002 to give my young kids the chance to hunt all over the state so they could see some different country and hunt game that we don't have in San Diego County. WU delivered! We had great times on properties from as far north as Fort Bragg and south to the Salton Sea.

After reading this thread I feel a need to contribute some first hand information to set the record straight and hopefully rebuff some of the unfounded bias and misinformation found within.

The Opportunity: In less than five years my two older children took their first bucks, pigs, tons of waterfowl, turkeys, mountain quail and band-tailed pigeons all on WU properties. Those charished memories could not have been realized anywhere else but in WU. Over our run in WU our family harvested a total of 8 bucks (2 are trophy-sized that are mounted on our walls) 5 toms, 3 hogs (180-250 lbs.), and one trophy bear out of Tehachapi that missed the P&Y book by 3 entrees. The hunting is good on WU properties when you get out of your vehicle and hike. It can be like public land when you don't because most of the members are road hunters. Interestingly, I noticed the people who were willing to work harder to get their tags filled often did. (See pictures below. I have plenty more if you are still sceptical.)

Rules & Policies: As a patrolman for WU from 2006-2008 I can assure you that I never received preferential treatment for access to the ranches or blind selection. (Neither did anyone else for that matter.) I was thrown in the mix with everyone else. In fact, I usually got the areas that were less desirable because I was always the last one out in the mornings after performing my duties as a patrolman. Plus members got the same treatment too, they just had an extra body with them. Granted, those who knew the ranches well had better success then those who didn't but that had nothing to do with preferential treatement.

Enforcement: Most of the membership are outstanding sportsman and followed our strick rules to a tee. Sometimes, I would write someone up for an infraction and once I was directed by upper management to ask a member to leave because he didn't have a legitimate resevation. But those occurances were rare. At no time did I ever catch anyone trespasing onto neighboring properties as our fences are well posted with boundry signs everywhere. Our membership knew if they strayed off of the reservation they would be punished and possibly kicked out of the club. At WU patrolman's meetings it was drilled into our heads to ridgedly enforce the rules at all times for the good of all, so we did. I can assure you, anyone who claims that WU or its staff directed its members to trespass is a damn liar.

Reservations: Patrolman do hear some complains about reservations from time to time but they were ususally confined to the weekends of season openers. With as many members as WU has, not everyone is going to get exacly what they want when they want it. The funny thing about that is on Mondays or midweek after the openers I found the ranches to be lonely places, which by the way is when I typically filled my tags. Occasionally, I missed my first choice reservation, but this was also rare.

Salesmen?: When I called the club to "get more infomation" I already new what the costs were as a friend told me what he was paying. I got all the info I needed about WU from their web site and I had been a guest at the Montgomey Ranch (at no charge) so I knew what to expect. By the time the rep. arrived at my door there wasn't much to talk about except where do I sign and where is my check book. My sales guy was polite & friendly (he new I was buying too). But even if he was an ass, what difference does it make? It doesn't take away from the product WU offers. People that make a decision not to join based on a salesman's bad manners are missing a great opportunity. If you want to buy a Ford are you going to switch to Chevy because of one pushy saleman?

Currently Not an Active Member: In case you think I'm on WU's payroll, I am not. I have not been an active member since 2008 as I now have access to several large ranches near my home. However, if those hunting opportunities were to close I would reactivate my WU membership in a heartbeat.

I will always be greatful to the WU owners and staff for engineering a fantastic outdoor opportunity for our family.

For those who are slightly intersested in WU: Don't listen to the rumors. Do your own homework and check it out for yourself. If you are a road hunter, my advise, stick to public land, that way you won't have anyone else to blame when you are serving up another bowl of tag soup.

'07 Tehachapi Bear 014.jpgpic149small[1].jpgPatrick's 1 st Turkey 2008 025.jpg

Last edited:

jerryt

Beautifully put there. my dad was a member while i was growing up and now my wife and i are members. i take friends hunting on these ranches every year with my plus member ship. They have all killed game and not from the roads. Great post johnogle.

ruger_mac

Same here John that was a great post. Joining a club like this ultimately gives anyone so much more hunting opporunity. Not only do you have Pub. Land, but a memeber also gets the option for private ranches. After reading these post over and over again. Im thinking giving them a try.

twacker

Thanks guys. It wasn't hard to write as it needed to be said.

Ruger_mac, your decsion to join is something you will likely thank yourself for later, especially if you enjoy variety.

One other comment: Most of these ranches are huge. It takes 1-2 trips just to figure out the lay of a place, not to mention where the game is hiding. The difficult things for some people to overcome is that they aren't used to being in a club, they don't like to share and they really don't like being told to follow the rules. If that's the case, WU wouldn't be for you.

Last edited:

buckhunter

This club is well worth looking into. I grew up hunting the club and have no complaints. The raches are just like public land....YOU HAVE TO LEARN THEM! It took me years to find my honey holes on most ranches and it is a sure thing now. There is no guarantees or 100% success rates and you have to learn the club and have fun with it. I know a lot of people have sour taste from the club but most if not all of them were only members for a few years....Things take time in my mind and I feel like it offers some of the better and more safe hunting ground in CA. If anyone hase and Q's or joins and wants to learns some of the ranches, let me know. I am always happy to take new members out.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
If you're in SoCal around the LA area Ed at [email protected] is a good WU salesman to talk to. Give em a call and he can answer any questions. twacker did a good job in the post above on laying out the program.

tntent

I am looking to join this club but i am in the northern cali area well not as north as buck in alturas, which btw has some solid public land to hunt on i have done that a few times and pulled some solid animals and wonderful memories from public land hunts. But i am getting old and i worry about my little kids i want to take them hunting but lord knows i really don't want to risk exposing them to what i had to avoid on the public land shuffle.. Sounds like the WU or clubs like this in general might be worth it at least until my young ones are old enough to sneak around the knuckle heads tromping thru the PL areas.

jerryt

Wife and I will be hunting the club this evening and then also tomorrow morning. We will also be having dinner with a bunch of other members as well as the owners and many of the patrolman. It's sort of a thank you for all those that can attend that do a lot of different volunteer work for the club.

Huntr Pat

Bison, Apologies
I meant it to be a question. I'm considering it. But would like more info. and be certain about the family members.

buccwylde

If you are just going for hogs just pay Live2Hunt that type of money and he'll take you out to all of his honey holes. No limit on hogs and you can go anytime you want. LOL

Henry54

I been a member for 2yrs and I love the club and they work with you on monthly payments, I have not meet a snob member everyone I have met are nice people. You can go by what others say and those ex members probably have broken rules or just want a perfect world that not goin to happen. WU has been real great to me when I joined I readed alot about them and I said Iwill try them and my son N I love the club. I been on ranches that are 5000 acres and its just my son n I. But like some one said here before "don't join more ranches for me"

Last edited:

Top Bottom